第十六首

*16.EEB

第十六首

EBB "Sonnets from the Portuguese", No. XVI

然而,因为你完全征服了我,

And yet, because thou overcomest so,

因为你那样高贵、象尊严的帝皇,

Because thou art more noble and like a king,

你能消除我的惶恐,把你的

Thou canst prevail against my fears and fling

紫袍裹绕住我,直到我的心

thy purple round me, till my heart shall grow

跟你的贴得那么紧,再想不起

Too close against thine heart henceforth to know

当初怎样独自在悸动。那宣抚,

How it shook when alone. Why, conquering

就象把人践踏在脚下,一样是

May prove as lordly and complete a thing

威严和彻底完满的征服!就象

In lifting upward, as in crushing low!

投降的兵士捧着战刀呈交给

And as a vanquished soldier yields his sword

把他从血滩里搀扶起来的主人;

To one who lifts him from the bloody earth, --

的,我终于认了输,承认:

Even so, Beloved, I at last record,

我的抗拒到此为止。假如你召唤我,

Here ends my strife. If _thou_ invite me forth,

听着这话,我要从羞愧中站起。

I rise above abasement at the word.

扩大些你的,好提高些我的价值。

Make thy love larger to enlarge my worth.